Deeper Life Women
Home » Discussion Area » Introductions & General » Hi (warm smile)
Hi (warm smile) [message #11980] Tue, 16 February 2016 09:18 Go to next message
steve  is currently offline steve
Messages: 3
Registered: February 2016
Junior Member
Sigh.
Got to be open and honest or there is no sense in me being here. It's just that many things i have read, (I know we aren't to compare ourselves with any one but Yeshua HaMaschiach), yet some of what has been posted ...well, I do feel kinda seem small. I have respect for Faith assembly via Joe Brennamen.

Grew up with great grand mother and never really knew parents until was 14. Was going to an Episcopalian church since a young child, the sermons were in Latin. Never knew latin. When grandmother died and ended, after being bounced around living with mother and her family and attended a countryside bible church. It was there that learned of the Gospel of Jesus (salvation). The church was very Calvinistic. The first chance at communion did not participate because not feel worthy and did not was to be punished by God for doing something that was to suppose to do. Family was up in arms, The pastor pulled me aside and explained about searching ourselves and asking for forgiveness before take of communion. Participated next time around. Something happened shortly afterwords. Days or so. After telling immediate family, again they were up in arms. The pastor pulled me aside and after explaining it to him was the most excitable smile he took me into a room and showed me in the bible about the gifts. The church as a whole did not believe that gifts were for anyone today. Ended up running away. It is sad place to be when one is where they are not wanted and to counted as a burden. God knows what he is doing, got me in a place where heard the gospel of salvation and then got me away before heart was tainted with Calvinism.

Got to know earthly father a bit before joining the military. At 19 earthly father died and was mad on God. I was a child. Went and got a tattoo to hurt God. Again, this an action of a child. Walked away and looked for God else where. Learned of different beliefs .. new age, different religions. Just could quite let go of my first love. Wasted 35 years of my looking for could not find, God elsewhere. One day, after a couple of months of conviction, I heard a voice in my mind saying this is your last chance. Knew exactly what that meant and was on my knees praying and asking for forgiveness.

Started to go to a christian college web site and participated in discussions in their forums. That led me to paltalk where met Joe Brennamen and listened to his sermons. Oh, just before this happened was struck dumb. Could not remember anything that was taught. Became as a child and had to start over in the scriptures. Stopped going to the christian college website and spend a lot of time on paltalk. The things are said on paltalk, so much is shameful but still did learn some truth. In Joe's room was even invited to their pray meetings, not something that Joe did lightly. Got tired of paltalk, too much vileness.

I'm guessing ya'll are filled with the Holy Spirit on a regular basis, it is something that rarely happens to me. Once, being filled with Holy Spirit God had me, in a small city on the other side of this county. go to every church and ask for a bible... not one would give me a bible. Being respectful in is this request, and I was, God judge this small city.
Moments after going to to last church, had a thought about wanting a cigarette and the spirit left me... words cannot accurately describe that feeling. It was like a tangible wind left me. Had no doubt that was alone. Nobody ever told me about this stuff. This type of thing has only happened a few times. Once while out and about prayed for a stronger presence of the Holy Spirit and then heard in my mind, "I don't work for you". Could have knocked me over with a feather. Not being the type to hear voices, this kind shocked me. Have been fighting again my own sinfulness for a while now. God has changed many thing about me, taken booze out of my life. When the battle against pot came about ,(remember, walked away for 35 years and there are/were many things that God needs to change about me), was about to yield and a voice outside of me that came from everywhere said, NO!!!. It was like a shout that reverberated from everywhere.
Haven't spoken in tongue and probably will not, Not all tongues are of God. I've seen some who speak in tongues and are as wicked as a person can be .. another speaks in tongues and takes psychotropic drugs. God heals people, if they get out of the way. On paltalk have many who speaks in tongues yet they justify their sinfulness and are full of themselves .. like they can do know wrong. No christian is to celebrate halloween yet have been in debates with many who do. Where is the discernment? Am not against tongues, at all. Just very cautious. Have seen way too many people puffed up, think every thing the do or say is led by the Holy Spirit. Personally think that one needs to walk uprightly to learn the difference between their own thoughts, whispers of the world (often demonic) and the voice of truth (Holy Spirit). Once while praying words flowed like water without any though, as soon as realized it ... it stopped. Never has finer words of praise to God ever came out of my mouth than at that time.

Sadly, today, don't even bother to find a church. The churches in this are shameful. One church that checked out, started off with soaking music ... had to struggle to stay put and not "literally" run out of the church before even hearing a sermon. Should have ran out, was a waste of time. Am not fan of people winging it. Preparing a sermon before hand and if the spirit leads putting it aside is one thing. Have heard too many preachers wing it. Unless led to, will not go to any churches in this area. Am angered and upset to what has happened to main stream Christianity today. Conservative Christianity, that's not the gospel of Jesus.. it is the gospel of money wrapped around the gospel of Jesus. Of course all christian are to be conservative, but this conservative christianity is not the gospel of Jesus. Have all the sermons of Joe Brennamen that have been posted online. Am currently listing to Zac Poonen from sermonindex. It's nice to hear sermons on walking the walk. It's all about God's mercy and grace there His Son Yeshua HaMaschiach and walking the walk.

This area of the world, New Port Richey, Florida is strange. One area of was known for clan members and now is now for wickens. Live in an apartment complex and are literally surround by people who hate God. Have to admit, it is good practice not hating haters. Occasionally fail, but not often or for very long. Do get the chance to talk with a few christians. One lady am trying to convince her that christian are not to be wrapped up in politics. How politicks (misspelled on purpose) are full of profession liars and all the actions of godly party are ungodly and that aggressiveness is not boldness in speaking the word.

Am hoping that my honest has not been offensive. Am here to learn and bounce some thing that does not go with mainstream christianity off ya'll. Are we not to reason with each other to come to a more perfect understanding?

Sigh, this post seems a little fragmented but if I clean it up it will never get posted.

Be well, and may God bless his own
Re: Hi (warm smile) [message #11981 is a reply to message #11980 ] Tue, 16 February 2016 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
william  is currently offline william
Messages: 1188
Registered: January 2006
Senior Member
Administrator
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you went ahead and posted even if it was, as you said, "fragmented"! <grin> Just look at some of my posts and you'll feel right at home!

I'll try to comment more on your post when I get a little more time later.

Blessings,
William


I want to believe!
Re: Hi (warm smile) [message #11982 is a reply to message #11980 ] Tue, 16 February 2016 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
william  is currently offline william
Messages: 1188
Registered: January 2006
Senior Member
Administrator
steve wrote on Tue, 16 February 2016 09:18

Sigh.
Got to be open and honest or there is no sense in me being here. It's just that many things i have read, (I know we aren't to compare ourselves with any one but Yeshua HaMaschiach), yet some of what has been posted ...well, I do feel kinda seem small. I have respect for Faith assembly via Joe Brennamen.



Just so you know, most of us are not affiliated with Joe Brennamen or the current iteration of Faith Assembly. There may be some members of the forum that are but if so they don't post much or at the very least haven't advertised themselves as such.

Quote:


... It was there that learned of the Gospel of Jesus (salvation). The church was very Calvinistic. The first chance at communion did not participate because not feel worthy and did not was to be punished by God for doing something that was to suppose to do. Family was up in arms, The pastor pulled me aside and explained about searching ourselves and asking for forgiveness before take of communion. Participated next time around. Something happened shortly afterwords. Days or so. After telling immediate family, again they were up in arms. The pastor pulled me aside and after explaining it to him was the most excitable smile he took me into a room and showed me in the bible about the gifts. The church as a whole did not believe that gifts were for anyone today. Ended up running away. It is sad place to be when one is where they are not wanted and to counted as a burden. God knows what he is doing, got me in a place where heard the gospel of salvation and then got me away before heart was tainted with Calvinism.



You mentioned 'Calvinism' a few times in your note so I'd like to take a moment and narrow down what you mean by that and if possible see whether or not we are on the same page as we go forward.

Calvinism and its opposite Arminianism (at least in the way it is usually presented) is theology that has been distilled from the two principles --John Calvin and Jacobus Arminius. I don't particularly like to yoke myself to either camp but if I were pressed I'd probably say that I had more in common with the Calvinists than I would with the Armininists. I'll try to explain what I mean but I'll do it not by referring to Calvinism or Arminianism but to the concept of 'faith' and 'belief' as presented in the bible.

I see the Bible as God's revelation to mankind. He reveals who He is, what He is like and our place in the whole scheme of things. If we can embrace the truth as it is revealed then we will find ourselves on solid ground and we won't need to relate it to either of the two man-made camps.

Throughout your note (and I'm not claiming any divine discernment, just using my own brain here!) I get the impression that to you salvation is something that one moves in and out of based upon the present circumstances that prevails at any given time in ones' life. Again, I may be wrong so don't take this as an accusation. I'm only trying to figure out whether or not this is the aspect of Calvinism that you seem to be having a problem with.

Our salvation is based on our response to God's self-revelation. Do we believe His promises, or do we not?

For instance, Romans 10:13 states: "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Read a bit further down and Paul in verse 17 states: "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

From those two verses (and I don't mean to take anything out of context because this principle is constantly presented throughout the Scriptures) two things are apparent:

1) Salvation is based upon our 'believing' this revelation of God (we don't call upon God unless we believe He will save us!)

and...

2) We have this faith (or we believe, to say it in another way) because we have heard the Word of God.

Now if the Scripture teaches that salvation is dependent upon whether or not we are presently doing something that is pleasing to God (I don't happen to believe this) then we indeed can fall in or out of salvation based upon whatever circumstance we find ourselves.

For example: If one believes that every time a person sins, he/she, at that point in time, is not saved, then the whole concept of salvation is based upon ones works and not upon the revelation that God has given to us i.e. that we are saved when we call upon God and believe His word which is salvation based upon His grace to us.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that a person can do whatever they want and be saved, I'm only saying that the status of being saved is not based upon anything other than our belief in the atoning work of Jesus Christ.

Our belief in salvation comes from believing the Scripture that promises that salvation, or to put it in other words, our belief in the one who gave us that revelation.

Quote:


I'm guessing ya'll are filled with the Holy Spirit on a regular basis, it is something that rarely happens to me. Once, being filled with Holy Spirit God had me, in a small city on the other side of this county. go to every church and ask for a bible... not one would give me a bible. Being respectful in is this request, and I was, God judge this small city.
Moments after going to to last church, had a thought about wanting a cigarette and the spirit left me... words cannot accurately describe that feeling. It was like a tangible wind left me. Had no doubt that was alone. Nobody ever told me about this stuff. This type of thing has only happened a few times.



Maybe I'm misinterpreting you here and maybe you aren't speaking about salvation but this is an example of what I'm saying about falling in and out of salvation. Being convicted of a sin is not the same thing as losing God. All of us have experienced things where we felt that God was displeased with us (and this should produce a repentant heart) but because we have believed the revelation concerning salvation we KNOW/BELIEVE/TRUST that God hasn't departed from us because He said He would never leave us, nor forsake us. Heb 13:5

Quote:


Once while out and about prayed for a stronger presence of the Holy Spirit and then heard in my mind, "I don't work for you". Could have knocked me over with a feather. Not being the type to hear voices, this kind shocked me. Have been fighting again my own sinfulness for a while now. God has changed many thing about me, taken booze out of my life. When the battle against pot came about ,(remember, walked away for 35 years and there are/were many things that God needs to change about me), was about to yield and a voice outside of me that came from everywhere said, NO!!!. It was like a shout that reverberated from everywhere.



Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying there were two voices, one from within that said "I don't work for you" and another from the outside that said "NO!!!"?

Quote:


Haven't spoken in tongue and probably will not, Not all tongues are of God. I've seen some who speak in tongues and are as wicked as a person can be .. another speaks in tongues and takes psychotropic drugs. God heals people, if they get out of the way. On paltalk have many who speaks in tongues yet they justify their sinfulness and are full of themselves .. like they can do know wrong. No christian is to celebrate halloween yet have been in debates with many who do. Where is the discernment? Am not against tongues, at all. Just very cautious. Have seen way too many people puffed up, think every thing the do or say is led by the Holy Spirit. Personally think that one needs to walk uprightly to learn the difference between their own thoughts, whispers of the world (often demonic) and the voice of truth (Holy Spirit). Once while praying words flowed like water without any though, as soon as realized it ... it stopped. Never has finer words of praise to God ever came out of my mouth than at that time.



I think that the natural tendency of most people is to "justify" themselves whether they speak in tongues or not so I wouldn't automatically write them off for this sin but I agree with you that it is a sad state of affairs!

I've just been called for supper so I'll need to leave off here but hopefully you'll find something helpful in what I've said... if I haven't totally misunderstood you, that is!

Blessings,
William


I want to believe!
Re: Hi (warm smile) [message #11983 is a reply to message #11982 ] Wed, 17 February 2016 08:33 Go to previous message
steve  is currently offline steve
Messages: 3
Registered: February 2016
Junior Member
Thank you for your response.

[quote title=william wrote on Tue, 16 February 2016 15:58
Just so you know, most of us are not affiliated with Joe Brennamen or the current iteration of Faith Assembly. There may be some members of the forum that are but if so they don't post much or at the very least haven't advertised themselves as such.[/quote]

My apologies in this. I forgot what have read about the experiences and feelings of some who were there. Good and bad. Am not aligned with and denomination, yet sometimes still learn from denominations that don't exactly agree with.

Quote:


You mentioned 'Calvinism' a few times in your note so I'd like to take a moment and narrow down what you mean by that and if possible see whether or not we are on the same page as we go forward.



Am not a fan of theologies, they cause division. My problem with Calvinism is that it ultimately removes person responsibilities and dumps it all on God. Am a fan of freewill, yet if God did not call who would answer? Man-made camps", Yes sir, it seems that us people (that's me too) have a tendency to muck things up. Even when our intentions are good. Accusation? Never thought that. A better understanding, (or as the scriptures put it: a more perfect understanding), means that people are sometimes going to offer correction and it is my responsibility to pray and meditate on it to see if it is more correct.


Quote:

Now if the Scripture teaches that salvation is dependent upon whether or not we are presently doing something that is pleasing to God (I don't happen to believe this) then we indeed can fall in or out of salvation based upon whatever circumstance we find ourselves.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that a person can do whatever they want and be saved, I'm only saying that the status of being saved is not based upon anything other than our belief in the atoning work of Jesus Christ.


Yes sir, it's all about Gods mercy and grace threw his Son. If am repeating the sinful ways in my life that I have been shown, it just seems to me that their will be a point that God will get tick off at me. Would rather not grieve the Holy Spirit, yet do know that sometimes do.

Quote:


All of us have experienced things where we felt that God was displeased with us (and this should produce a repentant heart) but because we have believed the revelation concerning salvation we KNOW/BELIEVE/TRUST that God hasn't departed from us because He said He would never leave us, nor forsake us. Heb 13:5

Maybe I'm misinterpreting you here and maybe you aren't speaking about salvation but this is an example of what I'm saying about falling in and out of salvation. Being convicted of a sin is not the same thing as losing God.



Losing salvation. We lose our keys, not salvation. Have known of people who walked away and no longer believe. Have their names been removed from the book of life?

I believe that Holy Spirit is in/or with all christians. Like a candle or a bonfire. Still and a little perplexed on how a guy can do Gods will and call down fire on wet wood and yet the next run in fear because a wicked woman wants to kill him.


Quote:

Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying there were two voices, one from within that said "I don't work for you" and another from the outside that said "NO!!!"?


Not sure to be honest. It is one of many things that don't understand. One voice in mind that was not mine, again was kinda alarming. The other, not saying it was audible but it was a shout that pretty much came from everywhere. Have tried to shout in mind with no success.

I have always figured that God would keep his promises whether if one knows them or not. Can now see the advantage of knowing Gods' promises. Am not worried about anyone judging me, no human can judge me more that I do. Am concerned about having my name erased from the book of life. It's not about works, it's about sincere striving.

Two things have stood out in your reply, maybe more that two things should have stood out but two were very distinct.

1. It would be in my best interest to learn of Gods' promises, there are quite few of them threw out the bible.
2, Am often writing people off for their man made doctrines. Am judging churches seldom do with individuals.
Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

It's just today so many bizarre things are being taught in main stream Christianity, am concerned about falling prey by the influence if i align my self with any of these people. Justification? Well, (chuckles), honesty.

Again, thanks for the reply and food for thought. I hope, with discernment, to contribute.

Be well and may God bless his own
Previous Topic:Free Today -- Ebooks (Tozer, EM Bounds, etc.)
Next Topic:eth-CEPHER
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Aug 18 03:54:09 CDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00998 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

OvercomersOnline.com is Powered by: FUDforum 2.7.3.
Copyright ©2001-2004 FUD Forum Bulletin Board Software